..."Money is like a sixth sense without which you cannot make a complete use of the other five"... W. Somerset Maugham.
'UK online sales exceed £130 billion in 2016, fuelled by sales growth on smartphones
- Online sales during 2016 up 16% compared with 2015
- £25bn spent online in the run up to Christmas, between 13th November and 24th December
- Sales made on smartphones drive growth, up 47% YoY in December
For 2017, IMRG and Capgemini forecast e-retail will record a further 14% growth.
The strong performance of online retail in 2016 was fuelled by the continued growth of sales made on smartphones. In December, sales made via smartphones were up 47% year-on-year (YoY). In contrast, sales made on tablets were down 3% YoY**.
In December, smartphones accounted for 54% of mobile device sales, with tablets accounting for the other 46%. This is a huge uplift on December 2015, when smartphones accounted for 39% of mobile device sales.
Across sectors, looking at 2016 as a whole, accessories and lingerie witnessed the biggest increase in online sales, up 38% and 33% respectively. This was followed by gifts, up 26%, and footwear, up 21%, all of which exceeded the Index’s average growth rate. However, the health and beauty sector had a year to forget, with online sales in the category tumbling 3%.
Looking at the Christmas period, which is defined as running from 13th November through to 24th December, £25 billion was spent online. This was up an impressive 16% on the amount spent in 2015*** as consumers continued to shop for presents online.'
...and according to the Office of National Statistics:
Online sales (excluding automotive fuel) increased year-on-year by 21.3%, but fell on the month by 5.3%; accounting for approximately 15% of all retail spending. See figure1 below.